These muffins are great as a protein meal after a workout or as a snack. We used unsweetened mashed baby food carrots instead of oil or butter and protein powder to get that protein content high.
Tip: If you don’t have almond flour it is fine to use 2/3 cup of oat flour instead.
• 60 g almond flour (defatted)
• 30 g wheat bran
• 60 g vanilla whey protein
• 1 tsp Psyllium Husks
• 6 egg whites
• 250 g carrot pure (baby food)
• 8 oz water
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 50 g erythritol (sukrin) or stevia
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 carrots, grated
Preheat oven to 175°C
Grate carrots as fine as possible and try to get rid of as much fluid as possible, by e.g. wringing them carfully in a kitchen towel
1) Mix egg whites and erythritol until combined and a little bit foamy
2) Add baby foods carrots, vanilla extract and water, mix.
3) Mix all dry ingredients; make sure that the baking powder and the baking soda are combined well.
4) Pour dry ingredients to wet ingredients and continue mixing.
5) Fold in grated carrots
6) Divide the dough evenly between 12 small muffin cups.
7) Bake for about 30 minutes or until done. If necessary you can reduce the heat to 150°C and let bake for another 15 minutes. That depends on how wet your carrots are.
Serving Size: 1 muffin (40g – 1.4 oz)
Amount per Serving: Calories 59 kcal
Total Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 7.5g
Dietary Fiber 1.8g
* based on this recipe calculated from industry supplied nutrition information for the mentioned ingredients. Your values may vary depending on the brands being used.